Are your pockets a little lighter after all of that holiday shopping? Stuck in a restaurant rut? Each of these five Lake Highlands restaurants cooks up some delicious eats, but they also boast some decent drinks specials, so you can eat out without all of the guilt of breaking the bank.
1. Picasso’s, located at Walnut Hill and Skillman, has been a neighborhood institution for nearly 20 years, from sponsoring our weekly Wildcat Sports Report videos to hosting fundraisers for the Lake Highlands Area Orchestra club. Visit the pizza/burger joint for $2 beers, $4 wine, $4 margaritas, $4 premium well drinks Monday-Friday 3-7 p.m.
2. Alfonso’s Italian Restaurant, located at 718 N. Buckner, offers happy hour deals not only on drinks, but pizza too. Receive $3 off pizza on Monday and Tuesday nights. Pair your pie (with extra-thin crust, if you’re an insider) with a nice glass of house wine, which is half off on Monday and Tuesday.
3. On Mondays and Tuesdays Asian Mint on Forest and Central offers $1 Nigiri sushi ($10 minimum purchase and dine-in only), as well as $2 off bottles of sake. Come back Thursday, when bottles of wine priced at least $39 are half off.
4. For some healthy South American fare to pair with your wine, try Nazca Kitchen, located at N. Central and Walnut. Owner Craig Collins (who also owns Red, Hot, & Blue, tells Advocate that he “painstakingly selected the wine list” — tasting “400 wines before narrowing down the 12 available at the Nazca bar.” Happy hour runs Monday through Friday from 4-7 p.m. Choose from $2 off wine by the glass or $2 off bottled beer.
5. Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House on Peavy and Garland has $4 drafts and wells and $5 wine by the glass Monday-Friday from 4-6 p.m. and noon-6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Choose from 16 American taps and five local taps.
Know a good Happy Hour that I missed? Feel free to list it in the comments.