Six years ago, I was a rookie school board member. As I begin my third three-year term, I want to share a few reflections and observations.
- RISD students have unlimited potential and regularly exhibit academic excellence, quality character and civic responsibility. Accounts of misbehavior and unwise decisions by a few overshadow the accomplishments of the vast majority of students. Walk the halls of our schools and visit with students…you will be proud.
- The effort, passion and commitment of RISD teachers are inspiring. Our classrooms are full of wonderful teachers who care about their students, not just test results.
- The Pledge of Allegiance rings truest when recited by elementary school students. They exhibit a sense of patriotic pride and enthusiasm that we should emulate.
- Society’s leaders continue to claim that “education is our No. 1 priority.” I long for the day when our leaders’ actions match their words.
- Our area PTAs are amazing! These volunteers contribute blood, sweat and tears for not just their own child, but for all children.
- If you have not recently attended a band concert, choir program or theater production at a Lake Highlands area school, get ready to mark your calendars for an event during the upcoming school year.
- I will leave the Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers and Stars to others. I would much rather watch our Wildcats and Chargers compete.
- Wonder what the inside of your neighborhood school looks like? Call the office and schedule a tour. You will be impressed.
- Every excellent school has a strong principal at the helm. Your Lake Highlands schools have strong leaders.
- If you ever question whether YOU can make a difference in the life of a child, volunteer to read to an elementary school class. Your investment will touch hearts and minds and yield a sea of smiles.
- I am proud to serve with trustees who are focused on the stated vision, beliefs and goals of RISD rather than individual agendas.
- My two favorite days of the year are the first day of school and high school graduation. Both are filled with a balance of nerves, excitement and joy. The future is bright with hopes and dreams.
I am humbled and honored to serve you on the RISD Board of Trustees. Thank you for your confidence and support.
See you at school when classes begin on August 14.