Texas Women Foundation’s Orchid Giving Circle raised $281,500 for 20 nonprofit organizations during its Grantee Celebration Feb. 11.
The Orchid Giving circle is a group of Asian women who represent a wide range of Asian cultures, ages, ethnicities and professions with the goal of increasing awareness of the local Asian population, community needs and knowledge about philanthropy.
Each of the nonprofits serve the North Texas Asian community, and four of them are located in Lake Highlands and Vickery Meadow. Those organizations include HHM Health, Mosaic Family Services, Heart House and Literacy Achieves.
Here are the other 16 organizations in DFW that received funding:
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIA): Scholarships
- Best Buddies (75247) – School Friendship Program
- Bryan’s House (West Dallas) – Pilot program partnering with Texas Muslim Women’s Foundation
- CHETNA (DFW)– Culture-specific services for South Asian victims of domestic violence
- Children’s Advocacy Center of North Texas, Inc. (Lewisville): Asian translation services
- Communities in Schools of North Texas (Lewisville) – Support for the Chin student population
- Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center (East Dallas) – Translation Services for Asian families
- Dallas Chinese Community Center (Richardson) – Life skills and youth leadership programs
- IGNITE (DFW) – Support political power for North Texas AAPI young women
- LiftFund (75247)– Empowering Asian Women Business Accelerator program
- Literacy Achieves (Vickery Meadow, East Dallas, West Dallas): Literacy and Life Skills Program for immigrant and refugee families
- Methodist Richardson Medical Center Foundation (Richardson) – Asian Breast Health Outreach
- The Richardson Adult Literacy Center (Richardson) – English as a Second Language instruction
- ScholarShot, Inc. (75204) – Support for low-income students to prepare them for vocations and college
- Texas Muslim Women’s Foundation Inc. (Plano): Peace in the Home program
- Trinity Habitat for Humanity (Fort Worth) – Home construction for Southeast Asian family
- Wellness Center for Older Adults – Preventative Health Care Program
The giving circle leadership includes Chair Mylinh Luong, Vice Chair Kim Cummings, Secretary/Communications and Social Media Chair Anna Hung, Grants Committee Chair Monica Chen, Treasurer Lilian Jersa, Membership Chair Priya Venkat and past Chair Cynthia Yung.
Over the past eight years, Orchid Giving Circle has granted $1,360,000 to 35 nonprofits and impacted the lives of thousands.