A house fire Sunday forced the Millers—Brad, Michelle, Mitch and Quin—to leave their Lake Highlands home

A house fire Sunday forced the Millers—Brad, Michelle, Mitch and Quinn—to leave their Lake Highlands home: photo courtesy Brad Miller

A Lake Highlands family last Saturday suffered a house fire that destroyed all of their material possessions. No one was injured in the event, fortunately.

“We are absolutely amazed at how our various networks have pulled together with donations, prayers and words of encouragement …”

Brad and Michelle Miller were out of town; Brad’s mother and brother were at the home with the Miller’s two children Mitch and Quinn when the electrical fire broke out. Everyone in the home, including the dog, Roux, escaped unharmed.

The Millers live in the Lake Highlands Elementary area and have a son who just started school there. Brad also is a member of the White Rock Running Co-op. He says both groups, and the Lake Highlands community at large, has been overwhelmingly supportive following this setback.

“We are absolutely amazed at how our various networks — the neighborhood, LHE, daycare, the WRRC and other friends — have pulled together with donations, prayers, words of encouragement and all,” Brad says. “It is nothing short of amazing. “We are well aware of how involved the community is, but we never could have imagined this.”

Fellow Lake Highlands Elementary families and staffers have arranged for the community to donate items that the Miller family will need in the initial days following the fire — toiletries, dog food, clothing and such — via this web page. A neighborhood family whose address is listed on said site has offered their home as a donation drop-off location.

Brad Miller's running club buddies bought him a pair of shoes after his were destroyed in a house fire.

Brad Miller’s running club buddies bought him a pair of shoes after his were destroyed in a house fire.

Brad’s running club today presented Brad with one very important item — a new pair of Brooks Ghost7 running shoes.

“He is in the middle of training for the Marine Corps Marathon, and his running shoes were pretty much destroyed in the fire,” explains neighbor and running-club member Paris Sunio, who collected money for the gift. “… running will be the best therapy.”

On behalf of the WRRC, Sunio also set up The Miller’s Burned House Recovery Fund so club members and neighbors can donate money to help the family while they figure out living arrangements, attempt to fulfill day-to-day responsibilities as parents and professionals, and as they begin to rebuild.