Richardson ISD students are eligible to participate in two City of Richardson contests created to promote, enhance and celebrate diversity and inclusion.
The Richardson City Council is partnering with RISD, Plano ISD and UT Dallas to sponsor a Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. essay contest and a “Black History Month: Celebrating Diversity and Inclusion” art contest.
Submissions for both contests will be accepted beginning Jan. 5. Award winners will be formally recognized at a Richardson City Council meeting. There will be more than one winner per contest.
Here are the specifics of the contests:
Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay Contest
- Write an essay explaining how you can use the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. to contribute to our diverse community and help promote inclusion
- Open to students in grades 4-12
- Must not exceed 500 words
- One essay per student
- Deadline is Jan. 29 at 5 p.m.
“Black History Month: Celebrating Diversity and Inclusion” Art Contest
- Create a visual image that displays how your unique beliefs and values contribute to our diverse community and help promote inclusion
- Open to students in grades prekindergarten-12
- Entries may be either two- or three-dimensional works
- One entry per student
- Deadline is Feb. 26 at 5 p.m.