Photography courtesy of A Well Dressed Home.
Emily Hewettt, an interior designer with more than 15 years of experience, is passionate about transforming passé spaces into refined, family-functional sanctuaries. She is known for creating timeless plans while incorporating the latest trends. Hewett, who launched A Well Dressed Home in 2010, is a mom and wife. She’s been married to Chris for 10 years, and they have 7-year-old twins, Beckham and Stella.
Here are her design tips:
- Scale is important. Make sure your furniture, rugs and artwork are appropriately sized.
- Utilize your ceiling to do something unexpected, including investing in light fixtures.
- Classic is always in style. For example, white kitchens.
- Invest in fabrics. Be sure your spaces are livable and family friendly.
- Don’t be afraid to make a statement with bold paint.
- Splurge on a piece you love, and it will live with you forever.
- Make windows look bigger by hanging your drapes to the ceiling.
- Mix your metals. Not everything has to match.