1. September is Blood Cancer Awareness Month. Tomorrow, Sept. 3, about 30 neighborhood-area marathoners are raising $3,000 apiece for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, which supports blood cancer research and cures, by running the Portland Marathon on LLS’s Team In Training. Their fundraising efforts include a night of standup at Hyena’s Comedy Nightclub, from which proceeds go toward the collective $37,000 goal. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the lineup includes funnymen Paul Varghese, Nathan Anderson and Matt Golightly, and a live auction. Hyena’s at Mockingbird Station, 5307 East Mockingbird (next to the theater), hyenascomedynightclub.com, teamintraining.org, 214.823.5233, $30
2. See the photo exhibit “Wild and Peaceful” running through Sept. 26. Neighborhood artist Anna Palmer has been photographing wildlife and landscapes at White Rock Lake for several years. Her photos are on display at the White Rock Museum, inside the Bath House at 521 E. Lawther. Go toVisit the website for more, or call 214.670.8749. The exhibit is free.
3. Still have that old VHS player? If you’re looking for a reason to dust it off and give it a whirl, stop by the flagship location of Half Price Books on Northwest Highway on Friday. All VHS tapes in stock priced at $4.98 or less will be sold for $1 on Fridays only, until further notice. Call 214.379.8000 for details.
4. Got kids? Here’s a youth-friendly event Saturday at nearby Lochwood Library. Master storyteller Alfreda Rollins tells the Vietnamese folk tale of how tigers got their stripes. Kids can learn “trust games” and make “courage stripes” to take home in this 3 p.m. event, sponsored by Big Thought.
Lochwood Library, 11221 Lochwood, 214.670.8403, dallaslibrary.org, free
5. Vickery Meadow Good Local Market will set up shop in the parking lot of the Flagship HPB every Sunday, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. The market provides a connection between local farmers, food producers and craftsmen within our community. Shop food, clothes, jewelry and more, all made by North Texans. The Vickery Meadow Good Local Market accepts debit/credit cards and the Lone Star Card. Support for the market comes from the Vickery Meadow Improvement District. Visit the website for more.
6. Running through Sept. 26 is “Bride of Frankenstein: The Musical” at Pocket Sandwich Theater. It has monsters singing, dancing and telling jokes. What more do you need? Pocket Sandwich Theater is located at 5400 E. Mockingbird. Call 214.821.1860 or go to pocketsandwich.com for more. Tickets are $12-$25.