In 1900, the City of Dallas comprised a few square miles, and our neighborhood was all farmland.
This map, donated to the Texas State Archives by H.L. DeGolyer in 1944, shows Dallas before White Rock Lake, before paved roads, when horse-and-buggy or steam-powered streetcars were the best modes of transportation.
Find a bigger version of the above map here.
Note the community of Reinhardt, where Casa Linda was later developed. Find where White Rock Creek comes off the Elm Fork of the Trinity.
Even though there are no streets, some of the farmers’ names are familiar, including Peavy, Diceman and McCommas, Wallace, Stults and Lawler.